Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Mind. Body. Soul. [Part One: Mind]


As I mentioned two posts ago (here), I am really focusing on self-growth this year.

You may say, "well isn't 'self-growth' a little vague?" The answer is yes! It absolutely is. And for that reason, I broke this one massive idea into three different focuses: Mind. Body. Soul. Doing so will allow me to delve deeper into each, instead of wrestling with one behemoth concept.

Today, I'd like to talk about growing the mind.

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." ~ Plutarch

What am I doing to expand my noodle?

Well, I have a few goals lined up. At the moment, I am working on establishing better, healthier reading habits. Growing up, I was rarely without a book in hand. My thirst was so insatiable, and I gnawed through them so quickly that I often read several at a time, so as not to ever be without.

As I grew up and went to collage, 95% of the reading I did was for school. As I entered the real world, my time was split between school, work, and minute amounts of sleep. Since I lived on my own, and payed my way through school, not working (usually two jobs at once, sheesh) was absolutely not an option. My downtime went from freedom to zilch in no time flat.

Now that I have established a career, my free-time-o-meter has risen. These days it is just a matter of working to restructure downtime around my relationship, pets, friends, family, and me time.

Not wanting to bite off more than I can chew, I am starting small. My goal is to ready daily (no less than 15 minutes is my starting sweet spot), and to read a minimum of one book a month. Small. Bite-sized. Attainable. 

What am I reading right now?

Currently, I am reading Tribal Leadership. After my last work review (in December), I set an intention to take my leadership skills to the next level. This book has been in the company "library" for years. I am about half way though so far, and am really enjoying the point of view and research done by the three authors.

(Source)

I have also just (barely) begun reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. On the Kindle app, I am only 4 pages in, so no thoughts just yet. This book was selected by a coworker. She decided to jump start our work book club. We shall see how this read goes. It is not one I would typically pick up myself. That is sort of the aim of book club though. Each of us has such different reading tastes. As Forest Gump would say, "You never know what you're gonna get!"
 
(Source)

We are three months into 2015, and so far, I have stuck to (and even surpassed) my monthly one-book minimum. The books I have had my nose stuck in so far are:



(1) Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson (January's pick)
(2) To All the Boy's I've Ever Loved by Jenny Han (February)
(3) Wild by Cheryl Strayed (February's second pick)

Setting this goal (even as simple as it is) has really grounded me. I feel myself getting a little closer to the book-loving worm I have always been at heart.

Do you enjoy reading? Why or why not?

If you do, what are you reading right now?

Until next time . . .

HHF Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment